Friday, February 16, 2007

I am Hagridden.

Ugh, I stayed up till about 5am last night painting, then I had to get up a few hours later for work, so when I came home today exhausted, I made myself a tv dinner, watched last night's episode of LOST, and fell asleep. It's now 11:45pm and I just woke up from a nightmare, ugh. I must be more stressed out than I realize and my subconscious was kicking my butt for it.

The Nightmare, Henry Fuseli, 1802

A hag, or "the Old Hag", was a nightmare spirit in British and Anglophone North American folklore. This variety of hag is essentially identical to the Anglo-Saxon mæra — a being with roots in ancient Germanic superstition, and closely related to the Scandinavian mara. According to folklore, the Old Hag sat on a sleeper's chest and sent nightmares to him or her. When the subject awoke, he or she would be unable to breathe or even move for a short period of time. Currently this state is called sleep paralysis, but in the old belief the subject had been hagridden. It is still frequently discussed as if it were a para-normal state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home