Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cinderella and Ramblin' Rambo

5th Cinderella Mural in progress

It was pretty easy finding something to submit for this week's Illustration Friday challenge- Tales and Legends, since I work in a storybook theme park. This is #5 in a series of 7 murals I'm painting for the Cinderella Party Area of Children's Fairyland. It's still in progress, and I hope to be done with it this week, I've got some changes I want to make to the prince and some more mice, some more magic sparkle, that kind of thing. It's about 90% done, I think.

I saw Rambo 4 tonight. It was SO not my kind of movie. I absolutely hate how the teaser trailer for this glorifies war violence and seems like an army ad. So messed up. Because that's not at all the tone of the movie. I suppose I can't expect much from movie trailers anyway but I'm so tired of the lowest common denominator manipulation crap.

It is pretty much a war movie, and I generally do not make the choice to go out and view so much grotesque violence on screen. For me personally, I just don't feel a NEED to see that kind of thing, and certainly don't need to see it Hollywood-ed up. But I genuinely enjoyed Rambo 1, never saw the 2nd or 3rd, and somewhat enjoyed watching the Rambo character development in the 4th movie.

I saw a small boy leaving with his caretakers when the credits began to roll, and at first I thought, WHY WHY WHY would you take a kid to see this movie?! Which by the way, I equate the experience of watching the first 40-something minutes of this movie to having your face shoved in poop for 40-something minutes. But you know, I saw lots of messed up movies as a kid (as I'm sure we all have, right? Right?) and I don't actually remember them much nor did it ruin my brain, at least I don't think it did.

I wonder what the R. on the "R. Rambo" mailbox stood for in the movie. Ricky Rambo? Rambo Rambo? Rocky Rambo? Ramblin' Rambo. Whatever. Stalone is a giant man, and I think it would be cool to see him re-match against Hulk Hogan.




Ok, I've never seen all of Rocky 3, but really, why do I need to now that I've seen the above clip???? IT'S ALL I NEED TO SEE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Vhrsti said...

Very lovely Cinderella. The prince has great uniform! Fabulous illustration!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

What about Cloverfield? I'm going to see that tomorrow...

12:53 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Did you know there was a webcomic called "My Stupid Life"?

http://www.mitchclem.com/mystupidlife/

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video has been removed! THE VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED!

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home